F.O.R.T: Facilitating Meaningful Online Discussions
This introductory workshop in our Fundamentals of Online and Remote Teaching (F.O.R.T) series will introduce you to the basic knowledge and skills needed to teach an online or remote course. You will recognize key differences between online, blended, and face-to-face instruction, and increase your understanding of the overall online teaching and learning environment.
This self-paced, online course consists of reading, viewing videos and presentations, and completing a course reflection. You will have opportunities to reflect on your own teaching practices and possibly share with others in a discussion board. This course may be taken individually or part of the entire five-course Fundamentals of Online and Remote Teaching series. To learn more about the entire series, visit our Online Courses for Educators webpage.
- You will learn the best practices of items to consider before, during, and after you deliver a discussion board post.
- You will explore educational technology tools you may leverage in place of a traditional learning management system to deliver an online discussion.
- You will apply the knowledge gained in the course to generate your own engaging discussion board prompt.
This course is aligned with the National Standards for Quality Online Teaching (NSQ).
Intended Audience: K-12 teachers/instructors interested in teaching remote and/or online.
Length: You select your start date and have one month to complete this course.
PD Clock Hours: 5 hrs
Illinois Virtual School, through the Peoria County ROE #48, is an approved PD Provider with the Illinois State Board of Education.
How to Enroll in IVS-PD
- Log into our IVS-PD system with your IVS-PD username and password.
Note: If you are new to IVS-PD and do not have an account, click the Apply Now option. Creating an account is a two-part process. Both parts must be completed before you can enroll.
- Request the course.
- Pay the course fee through the ledger. Once the course fee is paid, you will be enrolled in the course.
There is a 12-24 hour delay between the time you are enrolled in the course after paying the course fee to the time you can access the course.
For more details and links to help guides, please visit "How to Enroll in IVS-PD"